Oman Medical Specialty Board
The Oman Medical Specialty Board (OMSB) is an independent body located in Muscat and may practice its functions in other premises.
A location map for Oman Medical Specialty Board
OMSB vision is to achieve excellence in postgraduate medical education, training, assessment and accreditation throughout the Sultanate of Oman. This will improve the knowledge, skills, and experience of the medical and health care professionals. Through this, the OMSB has a vision to improve the health and health care of patients and the Omani community to achieve or exceed international standards and expectations.
The mission of the Oman Medical Specialty Board is to maintain and improve the quality of medical care throughout the Sultanate of Oman. This can be achieved by developing and maintaining postgraduate medical specialty education and setting the professional and educational standards for the training and certification of medical and health professionals. OMSB will strive to educate the next generation of leaders in medicine and lead with compassion, creativity, flexibility and steadfastness to meet the challenges of the new century and to fulfill our destiny of service and quality.
- Establishing, approving and supervising the professional health specialty programs and establish continuing medical education programs in health specialties in the education policy frame work.
- Establishing, supervising, adopting the recommendations of developing Scientific Committees and subcommittees necessary for assisting the OMSB.
- Accrediting health institutions utilized for training and specialization purposes after evaluating them.
- Supervising specialty examinations through specialized scientific committees & boards and approve the examination results.
- Issuing professional certificates such as diplomas, fellowships and memberships whether the examination is conducted by health institution or in cooperation with the OMSB.
- Coordinating with other professional health boards, organizations, associations and other health professional colleges within or outside the Sultanate.
- Evaluating professional health certificates.
- Encouraging research and the publication of scientific articles in peer reviewed journals and issuing specialty journals, magazines and periodicals.
- Participating in proposing general plans for preparing and developing manpower in health field.
- Organizing conferences and seminars in medical education and follow up the recommendations and decisions related to them.
- Recommending establishing Scientific Associations for medical specialties.
- Coordinating with the Ministry of Health and the other government authorities to set regulations and standards in practicing medicine; to register medical doctors and report those who are barred from practicing medicine in the Sultanate.
- Encouraging scientific research, propose the topics and provide financial support either in full or in part.
- Providing managed structures and processes to ensure that the quality of postgraduate medical education is maintained.
- Participating in organizing CPD activities including medical conferences and workshops in the Sultanate.
- Send Medical Professionals abroad and follow up their academic affairs.
- Coordinating with medical institutions and competent authorities to find training opportunities for doctors to be sent abroad.